Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 09:13:55 -0400
On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 14:57 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Try setting up for voice over IP or certain gaming to more than
one computer.
No problem - I have a number of Linksys/Cisco SPA phones hooked up
from peoples home offices to our central telephone server. The phone
is usually sat behind a NAT'ing router. This has been working very
well for at least two years now. Of course, I run a stun daemon.
Emphasis: "Of course, I run a stun daemon."
Therefore: problem eliminated.
Try using ssh to multiple computers, without changing
port numbers.
I do that every day from my workstation. (which is behind a NAT
setup).
The issue is the reverse.
Yeah, I thought that mnight be it - well, to me, it also seems a little
contrived. When I need external ssh access to something on my NAT'ed
network, I ssh to the NAT'ing gateway, and from there to whatever I
need.

The basis of your argument is that NAT is *simple*. You've just, in
this brief conversation, enumeration *TWO* work-arounds. Enable IPv6,
toss both of them; just control access with a firewall.