Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 06:15:12 -0400
On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 21:43 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:
IPv6 is simply a better and faster network protocol, it solves a
variety of problems [mobility, multicast, routing-table bloat, NAT].
For the end-user, it solves ... let me see ... uh, nothing.:-(
One feature that users might appreciate is mobility. For example, I
have a Nexus One smart phone. It can get it's internet access via 3G
connection to my cell phone carrier, but if it's within range of a WiFi
network that it's configured for, it will switch to that. So, if I'm
doing something, such as voice over IP, while walking up to my home,
I'll be going through my cell carrier. However, as soon as I'm within
range of my home WiFi, the phone will switch connections and kill my
VoIP call. With IPv6 mobility, that won't happen.

Amazing isn't it. It just works!

And multicast actually works too.

People will dismiss these as fringe things somehow not applicable to
[mythical] joe-sixpack-user. Until they experience them.

Also, the day is not
far off, when people might want to access appliances or home computers
from elsewhere.
It's easier with an IPv6 address than using a VPN and
worrying about whether NAT address ranges will clash.

+1, heck, +10,000! This is such a @*&!^$&*@*& pain. At an organization
of any size this happens all-the-time.

I experienced
that one, while staying at a hotel that used the same address range as I
did at home.

Yep, another reason NAT is crap.

IPv6 also will result in faster routing, so they might
notice that too.

+1