Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 08:50:56 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Still works remarkably well despite it ...

Try doing a command line ftp with a client that doesn't support
passive mode.

A bit contrived that, isn't it? I mean, yes, you're right, but I think
I'll maintain that NAT still works remarkably well despite
that "problem".

Snippet from 'man ftp':

"-A Force active mode ftp. By default, ftp will try to use passive
mode ftp and fall back to active mode if passive is not supported by
the server. This option causes ftp to always use an active connection.
It is only useful for connecting to very old servers that do not
implement passive mode properly."

Try setting up for voice over IP or certain gaming to more than
one computer.

No problem - I have a number of Linksys/Cisco SPA phones hooked up from
peoples home offices to our central telephone server. The phone is
usually sat behind a NAT'ing router. This has been working very well
for at least two years now. Of course, I run a stun daemon.

Try using ssh to multiple computers, without changing
port numbers.

I do that every day from my workstation. (which is behind a NAT setup).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.6°C)