Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 00:50:28 +0200
On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 17:03 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
On Wednesday 08 September 2010 21:12:17 James Knott wrote:

I am currently using PPPoE but I think my provider will force everybody to
NAT as they already declared. They also recommend and provide instructions
how
to disable IPv6 on clients' operating systems and say they do not provide
support for those who did not completely remove IPv6 support from their OS.

It's time for you to find a new ISP. NAT is broken in a number of
ways. For example, it breaks some protocols and makes it impossible for
a user to reach their network from elsewhere. Also, it's possible for
an ISP to overload NAT, as each IP address has a limited number of ports
that can be remapped. As far as refusing to provide support, if IPv6
isn't disabled, that tells me your ISP is incompetent.

From the perspective of the people around here on the list, i mean who
know what they are doing, more ore less, i disagree.

Even if your access provider does not provide you with native IPv6, so
what the heck?
Specially linux and *bsd support IPv6 for many years and people around
here (should) know how to set up an IPv6 tunnel using tunnelbroker.net,
or other tunnel providers.

It is more for the computer-nono's that if they power up their
modem/computer, that they will get a dual stack automagically.
Otherwise they will find out that more and more parts of internet will
become unreachable for them (both mail and websites) As some sites will
become IPv6-only.

Exaustion day is getting forward more rapidly than expected.
coservatives estimations for IANA are about may-2011, though some expect
a huge rush for the last 6 /8-blocks, so it might even be this year.

As Ipv4 will still be with us for a couple of decades, i don't worry
about some equipment (printers, scanners, san, nas, camera's) will only
do IPv4.

Most important thing, is that equipment that transfers or terminate
globally routable traffic [servers, routers, modems] are either capable
of doing IPv6 natively, or doing dual stack.

So about now, would be a right moment for having all mirrors (and
preferably suse.de also) being reachable on V6. [gwdg.de, packman.de ..]

Some sites allready claim that they do support IPv6, but only for their
webservers. As soon as you do an rsync with option "-6" you'll have to
wait forever... (like belnet.be)

If a "john doe", just want to stick with v4, sorry for him..., If a
company who is intensively using internet, doesn't want to be ready for
V6, they deserves to go bust (and probably will). Last month there was a
report that (mainly smaller isp's) will go bust because they won't
support IPv6 in time, and loose customers. If organisations in the
public sector don't care about upcoming change (and all the security
aspects that come with it), they should fire their sysops.

It is true that only recently ISP's are going to provide V6 to their
customers, but tunnelbrokers are their for a long time.
I just checked, my tunnel (from HE) is from march 2007....

So either way, no excuses anymore but action!
For one thing, i'm glad that the upcoming 1.8 release of asterisk will
support v6. Same about openvpn: their trunc-versions allready supports
it.

hw