Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 02:12:48 +0400
On Thursday 09 September 2010 01:43:25 Per Jessen wrote:

Just to calculate.

Only from those ranges I know they have, the number sums up at least to 262136
addresses.

In a city of 12 million I doubt they can have more than 500000 clients,
considering there are equal (if not larger) providers in the city and many
smaller. Of note also that they did not connect even 50% of districts yet.

They of course do not need to provide with an unique IP all of their clients,
just those who are online at the moment thanks to dynamic IP. They
already have NAT in some districts and can force others to NAT also.

So unless the city expands 100-fold, they will not experience IP shortage,
even if any inhabitant connects to Internet his mobile phone, vacuum cleaner,
dog, watch etc :-).