Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 23:43:25 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

My provider used dynamic IPs and also NAT to mitigate this problem.
Using NAT there is virtully no problem with IP address shortage
(NAT technology limits some network activities, but this does not
concern the provider as there is plenty of users who are willing to
pay for NAT access, some even ask to change their PPTP or PPPoE to
NAT, erroneously confusing it with IPoE)

NAT has limitations and dynamic IPs only delay the problem as your
ISP will eventually reach the point where there are not enough
addresses for everyone who wants to use the internet.

My impression is they have hundreds of thousands if not millions of
addresses much exceeding their user base. Not to say still most of
their clients get real (dynamic) IPs so they have reserve to transfer
all to NAT.

This is the crux of the matter - ISPs need to dish out IP-addresses. If
they can't get them or can't get enough, they'll try (to find) other
ways - NAT for instance. Only once they've exhausted both options,
will IPv6 become a real option. For a small ISP, incompetent or not,
that could still be quite a while.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.1°C)