Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 14:25:01 -0700
On 9/8/2010 2:03 PM, James Knott wrote:

It's time for you to find a new ISP. NAT is broken in a number of ways. For
example, it breaks some protocols and makes it impossible for
a user to reach their network from elsewhere. Also, it's possible for an ISP
to overload NAT, as each IP address has a limited number of
ports that can be remapped.

Well, in some ways, making it harder to reach your own net is not totally a bad
idea.

What you can reach, others can reach, and with a nat-less internet you
end up requiring protection in every device. Desirable perhaps, but not
practical.

Breaking some protocols, true, ftp is something that was broken from the start
and the fact that it does not work well with nat is hardly the end of the world.

As for impossible to reach your own net thru nat, I suggest prior planning.