Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 01:18:51 +0400
On Thursday 09 September 2010 01:06:31 James Knott wrote:

They say not in plans.

That's a common problem. We'll soon reach the point where IPv4
addresses are no longer available to ISPs and sometime after that to new
customers.

My provider used dynamic IPs and also NAT to mitigate this problem.
Using NAT there is virtully no problem with IP address shortage
(NAT technology limits some network activities, but this does not concern
the provider as there is plenty of users who are willing to pay for NAT
access, some even ask to change their PPTP or PPPoE to NAT, erroneously
confusing it with IPoE)

NAT has limitations and dynamic IPs only delay the problem as your ISP
will eventually reach the point where there are not enough addresses for
everyone who wants to use the internet.

My impression is they have hundreds of thousands if not millions of addresses
much exceeding their user base. Not to say still most of their clients
get real (dynamic) IPs so they have reserve to transfer all to NAT. They also
make business by selling static real IPs to their users.

In the mean time, there's no reason why people can't get
ready now, even if they have to use a tunnel to get IPv6.

As I mentioned, I use gogoNET. They have a client available for Linux,
Windows, Unix, Mac etc. (versions other than Windows have to be
compiled) that can be configured for either a single address or a
subnet. It's easy to set up and get going on IPv6 with it.

I have tried but it seems not to work for me.

Have you used gogoNET? I found it easy to set up. From what I've seen,
he.net is also fairly simple.

My impression last time I tried was the service is abandoned. I could not
register and also could not find an up-to-date client.

This is a concern of users, not providers, so the providers are
comfortable with NAT.

It will concern the providers when the customers start complaining and
leaving.

Leaving for what?