Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 17:06:31 -0400
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
On Wednesday 08 September 2010 21:12:17 James Knott wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
They say not in plans.
That's a common problem. We'll soon reach the point where IPv4
addresses are no longer available to ISPs and sometime after that to new
customers.
My provider used dynamic IPs and also NAT to mitigate this problem.
Using NAT there is virtully no problem with IP address shortage
(NAT technology limits some network activities, but this does not concern
the provider as there is plenty of users who are willing to pay for NAT
access, some even ask to change their PPTP or PPPoE to NAT, erroneously
confusing it with IPoE)

NAT has limitations and dynamic IPs only delay the problem as your ISP will eventually reach the point where there are not enough addresses for everyone who wants to use the internet.

In the mean time, there's no reason why people can't get
ready now, even if they have to use a tunnel to get IPv6.

As I mentioned, I use gogoNET. They have a client available for Linux,
Windows, Unix, Mac etc. (versions other than Windows have to be
compiled) that can be configured for either a single address or a
subnet. It's easy to set up and get going on IPv6 with it.
I have tried but it seems not to work for me.

Have you used gogoNET? I found it easy to set up. From what I've seen, he.net is also fairly simple.
The other
provider I mention may be better for use with routers that support 6in4
tunnels, but can certainly be used with a Linux box.

If ISPs don't provide IPv6, then they'll be forced to use NAT, as some
already do. As has been shown, that breaks some protocols and also
makes it difficult for people to reach their own networks.
This is a concern of users, not providers, so the providers are comfortable
with NAT.

It will concern the providers when the customers start complaining and leaving.