Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 17:01:02 -0400
John Andersen wrote:
On 9/8/2010 10:12 AM, James Knott wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
They say not in plans.

That's a common problem. We'll soon reach the point where IPv4 addresses are
no longer available to ISPs and sometime after that to new
customers. In the mean time, there's no reason why people can't get ready now,
even if they have to use a tunnel to get IPv6.
There have been a lot of stories about this in the press of late, and the
general consensus I see
is that its a lot further off than most people think, for a whole number of
reasons.

First most big campus organizations would RATHER be behind a NAT (ipv4 or
ipv6), and are actually
selling off address blocks they once owned. That frees up ipv4 blocks.

That will only go so far.
Second, most organizations are far from ready, although some are more ready
than they know
since windows and linux and mac(i think) have been shipping IPv6 stacks for
some time now.

Quite so. Windows with SP1 will do it, but SP3 is better. In Linux, it just works, unless you disable it.

There are a lot of devices (printers, print controllers, cams, NAS, phones,
etc) lurking
about about on ipv4 which force you to run an ipv4 network internally anyway.

IPv6 capable hardware is beginning to appear, for example my Nexus One smart phone supports it and other consumer level devices, such as some routers do too. Any 4G smart phone will pretty much have to, as by then cell phones will be running VoIP and there simply aren't enough IPv4 addresses to support them. Also, Windows has something called "Port Proxy" that will convert IPv4 addresses to IPv6, but I haven't found similar for Linux.
Major firewall components and router could not handle ipv6 till about/after
2005,
(netfilter didn't even handle ipv6 till about that time). Lots of these are
still in production in home routers.

There is just tons of software that needs to use or keep track of IPs that
simply is not ready.