Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:21:21 -0400
On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 12:26 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Some of you may have noticed me talking about IPv6 lately. IPv6 is
coming and is necessary,

+1

as IPv4 addresses are estimated to reach
exhaustion within a year.

I disagree with casting "exhaustion" as the only reason to move to IPv6.
IPv6 is simply a better and faster network protocol, it solves a variety
of problems [mobility, multicast, routing-table bloat, NAT].

Everyone, particularly those managing web
sites or business networks, should be making plans to support IPv6 ASAP.

Yep.

I realize that many ISPs do not yet support IPv6, so some method, such
as using a tunnel broker, is required while waiting for ISPs to get up
to date. I use gogoNET http://gogonet.gogo6.com. Another is Hurricane
Electric http://he.net and there are others.

+1 for HE

In the mean time, call
your ISP and ask about when IPv6 will be available. Then ask them why
they're behind the times. ;-) Some hosting sites have IPv6 available,
so all you'd have to do is use it. DNS servers will require AAAA record
support, but BIND has supported that for several years.

If your ISPs answer at this point is "no plans" - FIND A NEW ISP!
Really, if that is the case, your ISP is obsolete and has no plans of
upgrading their infrastructure. They are just a has-been waiting for
the cash to stop rolling in.

Here's a link to an article about moving to IPv6, with some more links
to other articles.
http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/ipv6/141456
BTW, for some reason, Seamonkey, on either Linux or Windows, does not
like this site. Firefox and IE work fine.
On my own network, I use OpenSUSE 11.0 (soon to be updated) on an old
computer for my firewall. I use the tunnel to get a subnet with 2^72
addresses and all computers on my network, including my smart phone, get
an IPv6 address automagically. When I'm away from home, I use the
client to get a single IPv6 address on my ThinkPad.