Re: [opensuse] Repositories and priorities
  • From: dwgallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:35:09 -0400
On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 03:12:49 pm Sven Burmeister wrote:
You might want to wait
a bit though since KDE 4.5 is moving from KDE:/Distro:/Factory where the
KDE version that will be part of the next openSUSE release is developed
to a separate repo. Factory will switch to KDE 4.6 at some point.

that point is supposed to be in november some time, but if experience counts,
it
might very well be delayed. IMO there's no harm switching to
/repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3 (=KDE 4.5.1) now; it's very
stable, in my and many others' experience, and switching to a different repo
when
the mentioned change takes place isn't a big problem.

--
phani.

That's true in general, but it's important to remember that packages are
changing in Factory all the time. After Will first put out the msg re 4.5 via
Factory, I upgraded no problem. Later after seeing 4.5.1 I tried the same but
encountered dependency issues, which of course can vary depending on what
software is installed. These could be worked around, no big deal at long as
you know what you're doing. But a separate static spin is preferable,
particularly for anyone somewhat new. Because of that, I'm not inclined to
trust zypper dup on Factory at the moment, I'd go with YaST for better control.
Just my 2 cents.