Re: [opensuse] Repositories and priorities
  • From: Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:46:20 +0200
would like to move to KDE 4.5, which I had in Fedora.

There are two mechanisms at work regarding package selection:

1) vendor stickiness
a package is only considered an update candidate if it has
the same vendor as the installed package. As most buildservice
repositories have different vendors this makes the package
stick to a repository.
To change a package to a different repository, you have
to manually select the package from a different repo (i.e.
by specifying --from or the exact version) or use
'zypper dup', which ignores the vendor.

You can also disable vendor stickiness by setting
solver.allowVendorChange to true in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf

2) repository priorities
before comparing package versions, libzypp checks the
priorities of the repositories the packages come from.
A lower number means higher priority, where "99" is the
default priority.

If you want packages from a specific repository you have two

- manually switch the packages you like to the ones of the
repository and rely on the vendor stickiness.
(you can also do a bulk switch by using 'zypper dup --from'
or the "switch packages" link in yast)

- change the repo priority of the repository you like to a
lower value and do a 'zypper dup' or 'zypper dup --from'.

The main difference is that if you later on do a 'zypper in'
of a package you had not installed before, the update stack
will use the package from the KDE45 repo in the second case,
as the priority of that repo is better. So if you just want
to try out a few manually selected packages from KDE45, you
should go rely on vendor stickiness, if you want a complete
switch you should use repo priorities.

Cheers,
Michael.

--