Re: [opensuse] is there a tool to reduce image dimension by removing empty spaces?
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 08:15:15 -0400
On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 19:01 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
On 2010年09月07日 18:18, Dave Howorth wrote:
Creating such images from scratch would be much easier, using an
object-based drawing tool.
In that case, manually reduce the spaces in GIMP is not too difficult
neither, it just takes time.

I suppose that depends upon the complexity of the screenshot. I'm
puzzled why your application has so much white-space in the first place.

The reason I need this feature is, when I make manual for software
users, my colleague suggested me something. He is a senior person, more
than 50 years old. He said, that most software manuals in this world
contain screenshots that senior people not able to read, because text in
these screenshots are usually 50% or smaller of size of the main text
font of the manual. He would appreciate if I make manual in the way that
the text in the screenshots of the manual is of same size as main text
of the manual. I consider what he said very true, but following his
suggestion I would only be able to put one screenshot per A4 page, and
too little space for the text. It's easy to test this, put a A4 paper on
a screen of resolution close to paper, 150dpi (somewhat 9inch) and see
how much space left there on the A4 paper.

I'd say that is what you need to do then. Print one screenshot per page
and create an appendix of screen shots you can reference in the body
text. OpenOffice will manage the references for you [you can insert a
reference to a frame or image and OOo will render the page number /
caption].

The only solution I can think of is to reduce the size the way I
described in the original post.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>