Re: [opensuse] 11.2 GNOME-KDE4.5 on same system
  • From: dwgallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 12:16:07 -0400
On Mon 06 Sep 2010 at 12:21:03 (-0300 UTC) Michael S. Dunsaavage wrote:

On 9/6/2010 11:09 AM, Marco Calistri wrote:
Hello all,

Wonder if are there any chances to dist-upgrade KDE4.5 onto a openSUSE
11.2 x86_64 system, where GNOME is also installed as DE.

I ask this, since by attempting to dist-upgrade to KDE4.5 with zypper
dup, it resolved into a request of changing the arch for big list of
GNOME stuff (from x86_64 to i586).

TKS,

You're doing a dup. Okay, what if you try disabling the 4.4 repos and
activate 4.5 repos and then just do a zypper *up* ? That shouldn't
effect Gnome unless there's a Gnome upgrade. dup will try to change
vendor and arch, up should not.

Hi,

I had never configured/enabled KDE4.4 on my system.
If I do a zypper up, then I see many new KDE4.5 available updates that
went no installed due different vendor policy.

Why GNOME is so massively involved into the "dist-upgrade" when we are
talking of KDE?

Cheers,

If you are trying to go from 11.2 4.1 (?) to 4.5 Factory then that will involve
a vendor change. And there is shared code between KDE and Gnome (more or less
depending on what's installed overall).

You might alternatively try using YaST. Under the Repository tab select the
4.5 repo from the list and then click on "switch system packages to the
versions in this repository". From there you will have more granular
visibililty and control of resolving dependencies, and you need not actually
change anything until everything looks satisfactory. Sometimes there can be a
chain effect where one unresolved dependency in turn creates others which
creates others; resolving the first elimiinates the others.

That said, an en masse architecture change from X86_64 to i586 seems very
strange. Having done a heckuva lot of upgrades over the years, I can't
remember ever having seen that. Wise to use utmost caution. If its an option
with your setup, it might be best to do a test simulation on a separate copy of
your system.