Re: [opensuse] Re: kernel 2.6.36 speeds things up
  • From: dwgallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 16:04:04 -0400
<snip>

i don't want to mess around with that right now--not until i understand
better
what i'm attempting to do, and probably installing another kernel in
parallel, so
i have something to fall back if i mess things up.

--
phani.

fwiw . . . while multiple kernels can be installed in parallel, there is also
a quick-n-dirty method that I've used not only for a fast test, but as well as
a regular precaution before any kernel upgrade: I have a sub-directory under
/boot which is named /last. Before installing the new kernel, I copy the
current kernel and initrd files along with the vmlinuz and initrd symlinks into
/last. (For extra safety, I also copy in the current /grub directory, too.) I
have an added stanza in menu.lst which is identical to the production stanza,
except with the kernel and initrd lines changed to point to the /last
subdirectory. Something like this:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/last/vmlinuz <remainder of line>
initrd /boot/last/initrd

Then following the update, if necessary I can fall back to the previous kernel
binary. This method can be used without modifying menu.lst, too -
alternatively the regular grub boot stanza can just be edited on-the-fly right
at the runtime menu, such that it ref's /last like the above.