Re: [opensuse] lsm space giveth and space taketh away: missing space?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 01:02:24 +0200

On 2010-09-03 00:22, Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:02:19 +0200, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

Now that sizes are in the Tera, the difference has become very
important.

Which wouldn't be a problem hadn't the manufacturers of hard disks (or
rather their marketing) at some point in history suddenly decided that
their capacity would look *much* better if defining a kilobyte as 10³
bytes. My suspicion is that it was also them behind the move to create
those XiB units.

It is the other way round. There would be no confussion if computer people
(like me) never wrecked
the mega kilo etc definition, by changing it to their own liking, disregarding
proper usage. Kilo is
prefix for one thousand, period. You (we) don't like the definition, right:
just use another prefix.

That would be an exageration, and any way, there is no confussion in
the names of the units.

Still, the confusion only started at the above mentioned point in
time. And guess what, it's still a minority that actually uses the *iB
units.

The confusion started the moment computer people (like me) started to use kilo
= 1024.
I'm guilty of that and I repent.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))