Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: "Brian K. White" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:46:26 -0400
On 9/1/2010 2:38 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Brian K. White wrote:

xar

* random access thanks to built in xml toc
* lzma (should be xz aka lzma2 by now but I haven't looked lately)

First thought: XML sounds a little wasteful in this context.
After having built it, it doesn't appear to support lzma. I'll still be
trying it out though.

The xar in the Archiving repo doesn't either. Probably just needs liblzma present at build time for ./configure to enable it. I'll take a whack at it in my own OBS repo and provide a link here if the result works. The web site clearly states lzma support, and the whole point of the util is to be extensible anyways.

--
bkw