Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: "Brian K. White" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:56:35 -0400

On 2010-09-01 at 16:10, Per Jessen<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Try compressing with '-ms=off' option for p7zip and test
decompression speed again...

Interesting, that was a significant improvement. Almost as good as
zip and certainly good enough to make 7za a good candidate. Thanks.

I'm running a lengthy test right now, but my immediate impression is
that 7zip is only marginally slower than zip. Zip typically needs
slightly less than 0.02seconds for an extraction, where as 7zip
typically needs a little more than that. If 7zip does better
compression too (which it should), it's a winner.
However, 7zip for Linux looks a bit, well, unfinished. It doesn't read
filenames from stdin, it doesn't have a --quiet option,

I use '-bd -y' for "quiet" opperation in scripts.

and it's still called 'beta'. Makes me a little wary.

It's been called that for several years now (for as long as it exists really).
During that time I have been using it on several servers for all kinds of
archiving jobs, and never noticed any real problems. Like where an archive was
damaged and files inside it couldn't be extracted anymore... That never happend.
You should probably regard it as a CYA disclaimer from the author. ;)

xar

* random access thanks to built in xml toc
* lzma (should be xz aka lzma2 by now but I haven't looked lately)

--
bkw