Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:04:20 +0200
Dave Howorth wrote:

Wilfred van Velzen wrote:
On 2010-09-01 at 09:22, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm looking for a compression tool (lzma, gzip, zip et al) with
the following characteristics:

1. high compression ratio
2. multiple files per archive
3. very fast decompression/extraction of single files

A compressed filesystem?
squashfs?

Sorry, don't know much about the field.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave - it's a valid suggestion. I've already looked at squashfs
and I may have to take another look, but I think the problem was in the
mount time as well as in single-file extraction/retrieval time.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.8°C)