Re: [opensuse] compression tool with high compression ratio, multiple files and fast random access?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:50:19 +1000
On 01/09/2010 16:34, Per Jessen wrote:
I'm looking for a compression tool (lzma, gzip, zip et al) with the
following characteristics:

1. high compression ratio
2. multiple files per archive
3. very fast decompression/extraction of single files

Compression time is largely immaterial.

Sofar I've come up with plain old 'zip' which satisfies 2+3, but the
compression ratio is not quite up there with e.g. lzma. For instance,
on the same files, lzma can compress a cpio archive to 298Mb, whereas
the zip-archive is 473Mb. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make (space
is cheap), but I couldn't help wondering if there might be a zip-style
compression utility with lzma compression ratios out there?

Back in the early-mid 1990s there was an archiver written which not only beat all other archivers hands down re compression but was also very fast. I was using it for my data. But at that time zip etc "ruled" the world and this archiver was kinda by-passed.....

And do you think I can remember its name? :-(

Perhaps someone will remember, and it would be nice to see if it is still alive.

BC

--
Vulgar language is the linguistic crutch of inarticulate people.