Re: [opensuse] NVIDIA driver on 11.3 rc2 was: openSUSE 11.3 RC1 looks good
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:10:02 +0200
On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 08:41 -0400, Bob Ewart wrote:

The listing below is after I did the
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.34-12
make oldconfig && make prepare

So there's no joy here.

I'm hoping that the released version will give us back the NVidia
repository. That's my only hope now.

This is why I waited. Still, I think your problem might indicate a
different issue. When you did the make prepare, were there any errors?
If not, then I do not understand the error given.

Also, as was mentioned in a different response to this thread, it seems
that the nvidia driver feels the device might be in use by a different
driver.

Perhaps you should try this in a character login in run state 3 (no GUI
login - only character). Then be sure no other nvidia-related kernel
modules (e.g., the ones you are hoping to replace) are loaded. If they
are, the nvidia module will complain as it seems to be doing. After the
modules are gone, try loading the driver with:

modprobe nvidia

If that works, then change to state 5 and see what happens. Do you get a
gui login?

If you are successful that far, then you need make this work
automatically. That was described by an earlier message (not by me) in
this thread.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST