Re: [opensuse] upgrade => 11.3
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:49:11 -0400
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 15:12 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:59 PM, pistazienfresser
<pistazienfresser@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/07/10 21:08, steve wrote:

For normal (i.e. iron) machines it is rebooting from cd

It says that the live cd is not for upgrading. Only for installation 'as
is'.

L x
I thought the update/upgrade with zypper is now 'officially' supported:

 http://wiki.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade (but hidden in the SDB
namespace)

As I understand it:

UPGRADE is supported via:
dvd, zypper dup, yast2 wagon

INSTALL is supported via:
dvd, LiveCD, NetInstall CD

What was the question?

Greg

The question was, what the preferred method is for upgrading a virtual
machine, as rebooting from dvd and selection "upgrade" is not possible.

Why not?

I've booted VMs from CD in the past. Can this not be done with DVDs?

fyi: My host OS was MacOS when I did it with CD. I think I've also
done it with Linux / VMware, but I'm not as positive.

Greg