Re: [opensuse] CAD Recommendation?
  • From: Tony Alfrey <tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 10:53:17 -0700
Tony Alfrey wrote:
A.S. wrote:
Can anyone recommend a Linux CAD program for someone with a little AutoCAD experience?

Thank you,

Adam

I use variCAD. It is not free, but I find it to be very powerful: it is a true 3-D modeling package, somewhat like Solidworks, not a kludge 2-D package with clumsy 3-D expansion like AutoCAD.

http://www.varicad.com

But that said, all packages cheaper than the industry standards (like Solidworks) have limitations. But variCAD is very usable for making real fab parts in industry standard 3-D file formats such as .igs and .stp. I have parts that are going out to the machine shop today.

I have never understood the fixation on "free" for a package that will require hundreds of hours of study to become proficient. Cheaper is better than expensive (variCAD/Solidworks = 0.1) but the learning curve on any package is more expensive than the package.

--
Tony Alfrey
tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx