Re: [opensuse] mail from cron ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:20:49 +0200

On 2010-07-06 11:36, Dave Howorth wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
Check the mail log in any case to be sure.

Doh! I don't know why I hadn't already done that (and thanks to Per for
also suggesting it). It makes things a lot more clear! :)

cron is sending mail for every cron run to root, which is being
redirected to dhoworth on the same machine and is delivered to his/my
local mailbox on that machine (which I don't use). I actually want mail
to root redirected to my real mail address, so I'll need to dig around
in the configuration to discover what I did wrong.

Just put a forward rule on that user so that mail is forwarded where you want
it. For this to work
for outside addresses your machine has to have postfix correctly configured to
be able to send
system email to outside, ie, have a real world name.

Otherwise, do somekind of cronjob that resends all that email with a script,
placing a realworld
"from" in your mail, and configure postfix appropriately, too.

Or edit the run-crons script, which is easier - till updated.

The mail sent for the daily cron jobs includes the output from the
cron.daily.local so at least I've found that. I now just need to arrange
for that output to be produced even when I turn off the email logging
for every cron run.

Notice that there is a difference between mail sent from crun jobs, and mails
sent from those daily,
monthly, etc, scripts. These are sent by the run-cruns scripts instead.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))