Re: Updating a dead link on wiki [Was: Re: [opensuse] What is the current setup for 'zypper dup'ing' 11.2-11.3 when it is released?]
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 16:18:17 -0400
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Thomas Schmidt <tschmidt@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02.07.2010 20:45, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Marco Calistri
<marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri 02 Jul 2010 at 13:23:48 (-0300 UTC) David C. Rankin wrote:

Guys,

    When 11.3 appears, what is the current scheme for using zypper dup
to jump versions. Where my notes end are:

(1) configure all repositories for the next version; then
(2) issue 'zypper dup' to perform the upgrade.

    That seems a little slim on details. Are there any other
recommendation, cautions, etc. that go along with the process. Do the
configs in ~/ move OK? Any gotchas?

http://wiki.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

IMO could be that some old ./config are not fully compliant to newer
release so in case of glitches or lack of particular features, could be
useful to start from scratch by deleting old ./config/file.conf.

Marco (or anyone who understands the what's going on with the Wiki
setup currently),

That page has a couple dead links to "http://wiki.opensuse.org/SDB:YaST
Wagon".

But there is a real page http://en.opensuse.org/Wagon  (note the "en")

But there is NOT a real page http://wiki.opensuse.org/Wagon   (note the
"wiki")

Any idea what needs to happen to fix that dead link?  I don't mind
fixing it, but I have no idea what the current strategy is.

Hi,
wiki.o.o is the new wiki instance. The wagon article is not yet transferred
to the new wiki
because it is not really complete and useful.
You are welcome to create a reworked Wagon the article at
http://wiki.opensuse.org/YaST_Wagon
I created the upgrade page last week and will fix the dead link until the
launch of the new wiki (next week).

Greetings

--
Thomas Schmidt (tschmidt [at] suse.de)

Thanks Thomas,

Re-woking the Wagon entry to be more complete and useful is beyond
what I was thinking of doing, but I very happy to hear it is part of
your plan.

fyi: I wrote most of the current Wagon wiki entry, but I had insight
into it. I just tried to use it, and wrote up how I thought it
worked. In the process I've filed some bugzillas. I'm hoping the
last of them is cleared this week and makes it into the 11.3 general
release. As of RC2, Wagon was not a useful tool for upgrading to 11.3
due to the bugs, but they look like the easily fixable kind.

Greg