Re: [opensuse] Mobile broadband
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:20:59 +0200
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:04, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Lots of files...

Yup. I was quite impressed that they actively support Linux -
although the Linux drivers are not on the device itself.. only Windows
drivers there.

I think the vodahone mobile connect driver is a driver
from vodafone that works with their service.

Possible... although, people say they've been able to connect without
it... so... One thing the software does is monitor bandwidth usage...
that's a major part of what it's doing... that plus an SMS applet.

I see that the python-notify spec refers to a udev rule for the device.
I can perhaps see if that is up to any magic.

Otherwise, I fear that the solution is in the driver, which is vodafone.

Thanks for the info. I will look at it more this evening. Perhaps there
is more that I have missed.

I haven't dissected the application - once I stumbled on it and
installed it, it "just worked" so I left it at that. Fingers crossed
there's something that can be extracted from the Python app to give a
clue how to config the UMTS stick without the custom app.

Alternatively.... Vodafone is in Sweden too :-) You could swap to
their prepaid UMTS stick of all else fails... at least they actively
support openSUSE. Reception is a bit spotty while I'm on the trains,
but otherwise, it's been working great.

C.