Re: [opensuse] new computer
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 19:42:39 -0500
On 07/02/2010 07:26 PM, William Biggs wrote:

I'm getting a new computer I'm going to use the same hard drive if I put
the hard drive in the new computer in it will I have to reload or just
put the hard drive in and turn it on ?

I'd put the drive in and try to boot - doubtful due to module differences, etc. If you can get it to boot, and load the modules you need, save the new module config with 'depmod -a'

If it doesn't start, I wouldn't risk it any further. I would pop the 11.2 dvd in the drive and just do a reinstall while PRESERVING your home partition. If you have saved your rpms with 'keepackages=1' then reinstall and update to current should be a 30 minute ordeal.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC