Re: [opensuse] What is the current setup for 'zypper dup'ing' 11.2-11.3 when it is released?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:54:13 -0400
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:44 PM, phanisvara das <phani00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday, July 02, 2010 21:53:48 David C. Rankin wrote:
(1) configure all repositories for the next version; then
(2) issue 'zypper dup' to perform the upgrade.

     That seems a little slim on details. Are there any other
recommendation,  cautions, etc. that go along with the process. Do
the configs in ~/ move OK? Any gotchas?

i seem to remember that you first update zypper itself, together with
it's requirements, then do -dup. never done it, but found it mentioned
several times in one of these lists.

--
phani.

That was certainly recommended in the 11.1 => 11.2 "zypper dup" process.

But it is not in the http://wiki.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade
process. I find that surprising (wrong?).

Note that if you upgrade via "yast wagon" instead of "zypper dup", it
takes care of renewing the "upgrade stack" automatically. see
http://en.opensuse.org/Wagon

Unfortunately there is a bug in that "upgrade stack" process with RC2,
but it is being worked on, so I hope it is resolved before the final
release in a couple weeks. If so, I think "yast wagon" will be a more
user friendly approach to upgrade. ie. a nice gui interface

Greg