Re: [opensuse] Xvnc documentation?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 20:03:08 -0500
On 07/01/2010 06:00 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Next create the vncpasswd file -

cd /etc
x11vnc -storepasswd 'yourfavoritepassword' vncpasswd

and restart the xinitd services -

rcxinetd restart

VOILA! A vnc service that actually works on port 5900! SuSE 11.2 x86_64

Marc..

Now that's cool!

I've poked around a bit and I've tried different vnc solutions, and I agree the competing vnc methods are a mess. That why have always come back to using tightvnc for myself personally. I don't have to worry about setting it up for others. If I want a graphics session, I just start the vncserver on the remote host via ssh, do my thing, and then kill/reset the session the same way. I don't know why, but suse defaults to NOT resetting the vnc session once you terminate it, so I just use a one-liner that kills and restarts the service.

From the client, I use the same 'vncviewer' client and it has worked fine. There is both the linux and windows clients, so that is usually convenient.

For tunneling into windows boxes, I just stick with rdesktop. Something
like:

rdesktop killerz.3111skyline.com -u david -g 1280x800 -E -x l &

-- or if across the internet --

rdesktop -u david -g 1024x768 -x b -z rbpllc.com

always does the trick.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC