Re: [opensuse] Xvnc documentation?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 15:16:49 -0500
On 07/01/2010 01:00 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Can someone tell me where I can find documentation (man pages??) on the
xorg-x11-Xvnc servers that are supplied by default within the xinet daemons?
Google searches and YaST is turning up nada so I wonder if I am searching for
the wrong thing....

Marc...

Marc,

I'm not sure there is a lot to be found. I'm sure you know this, but sinetd is fairly simple and straight forward. You start/stop xinetd just like any other daemon and xinetd reads the individual service config files in /etc/xinetd.d/. Look in the file for the service you are interested in like say 'tftp', etc.. This will tell you what services are by default available to be run under xinetd. Here is what I have according to chkconfig --list:

xinetd based services:
chargen: off
chargen-udp: off
cups-lpd: off
cvs: off
daytime: off
daytime-udp: off
discard: off
discard-udp: off
echo: off
echo-udp: off
netstat: off
nrpe: off
nsca: off
rsync: off
sane-port: off
servers: off
services: off
svnserve: off
swat: off
systat: off
tftp: on
time: off
time-udp: off
vnc: off

To enable or disable the xinetd services, just modify the config file for the service you need (vnc?) For example let's look at tftp:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2317 2009-12-19 08:58 vnc.rpmsave
14:57 alchemy:/etc/xinetd.d> cat tftp
# default: off
# router need an upgrade. Most sites run this only on machines acting as
# "boot servers".
service tftp
{
socket_type = dgram
protocol = udp
wait = yes
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
server_args = -s /tftpboot
disable = yes

To enable the service, just 'undisable' the service by changing 'disable = yes' to 'disable = no' or turn the service on with 'chkconfig tftp on' and then restart xinet.d with 'rcxinetd restart'. (as root of course). You can confirm it is running with 'chkconfig --list' and then look under the xinetd listing. That's about it. You can turn the service off by making disable = yes or with 'chkconfig tftp off' and restarting xinetd.

You can always use yast to do this as well, but it is just as easy from the command line. Good luck.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC