Re: [opensuse] How to set another resolution on my desktop?
  • From: "C. Brouerius van Nidek" <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:06:34 +0700
On Thursday, July 01, 2010 03:15:57 pm Istvan Gabor wrote:
2010. június 30. 13:53 napon "C. Brouerius van Nidek"
<constant@xxxxxxxxxxx> írta:
Working happily with my 11.3RC1 but ran into a problem with the
resolution and refresh rate. After boot it shows resolution
1024x768 with a refresh rate of 85. This is above the rate from my
monitor supplier. If I change that into 1280x1024 refresh auto it
gives a much better image and gives a rate from 65, well below the
manufacturers info.
I have tried in vain to save this setting but after every reboot it
is the old resolution and refresh rate again.
In former versions I would go to sax and finish the problem. Sax
has gone so what do I next?

Hello:

I don't know about openSUSE 11.3, but in 11.2 sax is also absent in
System Manager but you can run it in a terminal window. I have also
sax2 entry in startup-menu>system>configuration>sax2 in KDE 3.5.
What I usually do is logout from graphical window, change to a
terminal window (CTRL+ALT+F2 eg), login as root, do an 'init 3', run
sax2, after setting up the screen do an 'init 5'. It should start
then graphical window with the new settings. Do not forget to logout
from the terminal window after this.

IF sax2 is really absent in 11.3 then you probably have to edit
xorg.conf file manually, or copy aworking xorg.conf from a previous
system.

Cheers,

Thanks Istvan,
Had another look and indeed, in the 11.3RC1 sax is not available. Don't
know if it will be in the final version. We have to wait another 14 days
for that.
It has to be the editing of the xorg.conf manually.
Your idea of copying a working xorg.conf is excellent. Thanks
--
Linux User 183145 using LXDE on a Pentium IV ,