Re: [opensuse] How to set another resolution on my desktop?
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:15:57 +0200
2010. június 30. 13:53 napon "C. Brouerius van Nidek" <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
írta:

Working happily with my 11.3RC1 but ran into a problem with the
resolution and refresh rate. After boot it shows resolution 1024x768
with a refresh rate of 85. This is above the rate from my monitor
supplier. If I change that into 1280x1024 refresh auto it gives a much
better image and gives a rate from 65, well below the manufacturers
info.
I have tried in vain to save this setting but after every reboot it is
the old resolution and refresh rate again.
In former versions I would go to sax and finish the problem. Sax has
gone so what do I next?

Hello:

I don't know about openSUSE 11.3, but in 11.2 sax is also absent in System
Manager but you can run it in a terminal window.
I have also sax2 entry in startup-menu>system>configuration>sax2 in KDE 3.5.
What I usually do is logout from graphical window, change to a terminal window
(CTRL+ALT+F2 eg), login as root, do an 'init 3', run sax2, after setting up the
screen do an 'init 5'. It should start then graphical window with the new
settings. Do not forget to logout from the terminal window after this.

IF sax2 is really absent in 11.3 then you probably have to edit xorg.conf file
manually, or copy aworking xorg.conf from a previous system.

Cheers,

Istvan