[opensuse] Problem with NVIDIA GeForce G310M ?
  • From: suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:57:39 +0200
Hi, friends,

Introduction:
Bought a new laptop Asus PL30JT-RO030X - unfortunately
only with Win7PRO :-(.

Wanted to install openSUSE 11.2 and failed at 1st because
of a too slow external DVD drive (via USB).
With a more modern drive I'd success (BIOS has recognized
the drive) and the installation went on without hickups.

Problem:
Trying to boot the installed system initially it goes as
usual (I see the kernel messages during boot flying over
the screen).

But then - when it comes to the graphical login - the
screen goes dark and NOTHING more is happening :-(

Analysis:
Succeeded in booting a live UBUNTU and could save some
logfiles to a stick. I see some error messages in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log which hardens my suspects it could
be a matter with the graphics.

Unfortunately I'm (not yet) fit enough to interpret
those error messages good enough.

The Xorg.0.log and some more logfiles can be found at
http://www.blaettner.com/Computer/ - I didn't want to
make this mail unnecessarily fat.

Some data of the laptop:
CPU: Intel Core i5 processor 520UM (1,06 GHz)
Number of Processor Cores: 2
Frequency: 1066 MHz
Memory: 4096 MB (DDR3-1066)
Chipset: Intel HM55 Express
Grapics Chip: NVIDIA GeForce G310M (memory 1024 MB)
Display: resolution 1366x768 pixels

Questions:
- Where/how can I change something to adapt the system
appropriately before booting?
- Are there boot parameters to clean up this problem?

Help !!!!

Thanks in advance for Your efforts and suggestions!

Rolf
--
Dipl.phys. Rudolf Otto Bl├Ąttner
Herzogenaurach, Germany