Re: [opensuse] Sound Question..
  • From: "Sascha 'saigkill' Manns" <samannsml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:35:55 +0200
Am Sonntag 06 Juni 2010 15:52:54 wrote James Hatridge:
Hi all,

I'm trying to get sound to work on my system. When I turn on Linux I
get the start up music, but when I try to watch a movie with VLC I
get this:

####################
Audio output failed:
The audio device "default" is already in use.
Audio output failed:
VLC could not open the ALSA device "default" (Device or resource
busy).

######################

Any ideas what's wrong?
You can try to place this .asoundrc in your $HOME:
pcm.dmixer {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmix"
hint {
show on
description "DMix: ALSA Software Mixer"
}
}

pcm.dmixout {
# Just pass this on to the system dmix
type plug
slave {
pcm "dmix"
}
}

After that you can reboot your System, and then you can choose in
Systemsettings/Multimedia the dmix device as playback.

HTH Sascha

--
Sincerely yours

Sascha Manns