Re: [opensuse] multiboot: Suse does not find non-Suse distros
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:14:24 +0100
C wrote:
There are scenarios where manually managing Grub is desirable, but
it's not my preferred choice, especially considering how easily an
inexperienced user can render their computer unbootable with a
mis-click or a mis-configuration.

FWIW, my experience is the reverse. It's very easy to screw up the
booting arrangements on a system if you let distros do their default or
even click on their install options. I usually find it easier to use
grub itself. But that's JMHO :)

As a point of experience, I've found that Ubuntu karmic is able to
correctly detect and incorporate opensuse 11.2 stanzas in its grub.cfg

There is one thing to remember with such a configuration. Whenever
there's an opensuse kernel update, it's necessary to boot ubuntu and run
update-grub. It's a bit like being back in lilo days. So perhaps it's
better to use chainloading, despite the apparent clunkiness.

Cheers, Dave