Re: [opensuse] kcm_gtk -- again, can anyone confirm? [ More Info re: 11.2]
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:47:40 -0500
On 06/04/2010 11:23 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/04/2010 12:44 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
I have tried 15+ versions of kcm_gtk and kde3-kcm_gtk going back to
April 2009
and the results are the same. So I don't think it is the kcm_gtk package
itself,
but whatever part of opensuse reads the .gtkrc-2.0-kde* is likely what has
changed and is now broken. Does anybody know what package/process this is?
All
was working great until 5-6 days ago, then after update, all hell broke
loose.

Anybody else seeing this? -- or am I just lucky :p

Ahah,

Progress is being made. I was updating a spare drive that has 11.2 on
it and
while updating I was looking at this kcm_gtk issue. The problem has something
do with updating Firefox from 3.5.9 -> 3.6.3. I had completely updated the
11.2
box and the gtk themes were rendering fine in kde3 and kde4. Then I went to
the
Mozilla Community repository and updated firefox/tbird from 3.5.9 to 3.6.3.
Bingo, immediately there were gtk them rendering problems with all dialogs.
The
apps still looked OK, but the dialogs were using huge fonts and coloration was
bad (like gradients are ignored and only one of the gradient colors is being
used)

I can't see how firefox or thunderbird could cause this issue,
especially since
I see the problems in Gimp as well. I didn't think they were related.
Regardless, a simple test is to test gtk theme rendering with firefox <= 5.9,
then update to firefox 6.3.6 and look at the rendering again. I can't explain
it, but the difference was night and day.

Oh the irony,

There is no gtk dialog or menu problem when running tbird under
fluxbox. It is
ONLY kde where a bug was created in the past week. Here is a perfect screenshot
of what my gtk apps did in the past, and should look like now, in both kdes:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/openSuSE/tbird-gtk-menus-fluxbox.jpg

Compare that to what they look like in kde now:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/openSuSE/tbird-gtk-menus.jpg

and the ugly font size and invisible text in kde:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/openSuSE/tbird-gtk-filesave.jpg

compared to the proper dialog rendering in fluxbox:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/openSuSE/tbird-gtk-dialog-flux.jpg

Any more thoughts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.