Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 23:24:13 +0200
On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 11:35 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sunday 06 June 2010 13:32:29 James Knott wrote:

There are already some ISPs that hand out RFC1918 addresses, rather than
"real" ones.

I hope you meant "still" instead of "already". ISPs handing out private IPv4
addresses have been around for as long as I have been online. For home
users,
that has been standard practice in many places

Anders

Where is "many places"? To my knowlege, in North America most users do
not get RFC1918 addresses. I can certainly understand it happening in
Asia and Europe, where there are not as many IPv4 addresses available.

Here in Holland, one isp did handout 10.x.y.z addresses, but they
stopped that, and use routable addresses since a couple of years.

afaics rfc1918 should only be used by end-users, who have an option and
choose to use it.

If you ever got one from your provider, you have to resort to all sort
of tricks to turn it into a "normal" address.