Re: [opensuse] multiboot: Suse does not find non-Suse distros
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:32:22 -0400
On 2010/06/06 15:10 (GMT-0400) Dotan Cohen composed:

I expect any modern Linux distro to do that for
me. When I want philosophical idealisms why something simple doesn't
just work, I install Debian.

Grub 2, which hasn't gone GA yet, is anything but simple, and doesn't yet
have "just works" status. Fedora and *buntu are (compared to openSUSE)
bleeding edge, and tolerate absence of bulletproof bootloader status.
openSUSE isn't, and doesn't, both of which I'm happy about.

What's really wrong is when any distro's installer assumes, without asking,
it is supposed to be _THE_ bootloader in control of the whole system, when
what should happen is, upon finding other OSs installed, for it to offer a
list of options for the location of the new bootloader, the top/default
choice of which should normally be onto the target partition or a /boot
partition, and _NOT_ the MBR, and another of which when other Grub(s) is/are
found is to append (a) chainloader stanza(s) to (a) menu.lst/grub.cfg(s) to
be specified by the user.

Multiboot is complicated. There's no pretending it is or can be simple when
the installed OS count exceeds approximately 2, especially when each OS's
installer thinks its bootloader is supposed to control everything.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/