Re: [opensuse] multiboot: Suse does not find non-Suse distros
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:27:03 -0400
On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 08:27 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2010/06/06 14:33 (GMT+0300) Dotan Cohen composed:

I recently installed Open Suse 11.3 beta (build 0625) on a system with
another Linux distro in another partition. Interestingly, Suse gave me
no option for configuring dual boot, and the resulting boot menu
showed only the Suse partition. I was able to install a custom Grub2
to get back into the other distro, but why doesn't Suse provide this?

[Based upon observation, not any official position I know about.]

SUSE provides Grub 2 as an incompletely supported option. Its installer
provides no Grub 2 support. Consequently, it is incapable of parsing Grub 2
config files used by other distros, and it is the parsing of menu.lst files
from Grub 1 that enables other distros to be found.

Well it also doesn't (11.1) do the others that use Grub 1, from my
experience, case in point Vector Linux. :(

{snip}