Re: [opensuse] multiboot: Suse 11.2 does not put other Suse distros in Grub menu
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:13:16 -0400
On 2010/06/06 18:41 (GMT+0200) C composed:

I'm beginning to think we're on totally different
wavelengths here. I am not arguing about Grub2, nor am I at this
point, pointing at distros with Grub2. The subject of this thread
happens when you install openSUSE 11.2 on a system with 11.1, 11.0,
Ubuntu 9.04, etc etc. There is no Grub2 involved there is there? I

Actually you forked the thread starter
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2010-06/msg00178.html which refers to
"another" distro, which I believe is in fact either Fedora or *buntu or both,
and both of which in their most recent releases use only Grub 2.

had 5 different distros installed at the time of 11.2RC1 and RC2.
When I installed 11.2, I "lost" all my other menu choices in Grub.
Something that never happened with previous releases. I could only
chose 11.2 from the Grub menu. I had no distros installed that were
using Grub2. openSUSE 11.2 does not use Grub2 by default.... so my
comment still seems quite valid to me... and your valid point about
Grub2 has no bearing on the issue that I can see... or does it? If it
does, how since Grub2 is not a part of the proverbial equation at this
point. I think we're discussing the apples and oranges thing.

That your previous openSUSE installs were not found I think is sufficiently
distinguishable from Dotan Cohen's thread starter that it should be handled
by a separate thread. Every SUSE install I've done lately litters its
menu.lst with every other installed OS on the system, which during install I
proceed to delete, leaving only the primary openSUSE kernel stanza and its
complementary failsafe stanza. Something is probably unique about yours to
cause the omissions of which you complain, and it may be a bug that should be
discussed further using the particulars of your system.

Multiboot _is_ complicated. Generic answers to nebulous behavior on
unspecified hardware are unlikely to bear much fruit, particularly within a
thread materially different in its particulars.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/