Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:41:26 +0200
On Sunday 06 June 2010 17:35:58 James Knott wrote:
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sunday 06 June 2010 13:32:29 James Knott wrote:
There are already some ISPs that hand out RFC1918 addresses, rather
than
"real" ones.

I hope you meant "still" instead of "already". ISPs handing out private
IPv4 addresses have been around for as long as I have been online. For
home users, that has been standard practice in many places

Anders

Where is "many places"? To my knowlege, in North America most users do
not get RFC1918 addresses. I can certainly understand it happening in
Asia and Europe, where there are not as many IPv4 addresses available.

Well, Europe is where I have my experience from. Some ISPs give you real
addresses, some don't, I have seen private address allocations on and off
since my first internet account, some time in the mid 90s

My last three ISPs though have all given me real addresses, which surprised
me, since I expected them to become less common.

Anders