Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:33:44 +0100

Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 12:13 +0100, G T Smith wrote:

For legacy hardware there is third party firmware that provides IPv6
support. BTW The kit is produced by a few manufactures (and possibly
re-badged) to a cheap and cheerful spec, and not normally by the ISP
itself.

Can't imagine hardware that's too old be able to run V6...

I have some hardware that has no IPv6 support in the current installed
firmware (which is not that old, however I also know there is third
party firmware that is available which will give IPv6 support if
required, so I am unlikely to purchase new hardware that does have the
support which some manufacturers would prefer me to do ).

Try and explain how to perform the above to the average home user :-)

Well, some ISP's teach their customers the hardway:

I heard from someone using vista, who had a malfunctioning cable modem.
After complaining about it, he got a new one (doing DOCSIS-3)

He noticed that he got from his ISP directly, both a V4 AND a V6
address, without even being told about the possibility!
Great fun for those having their firewall neatly configured for IPv4,
and finding out that IPv6 is wide open -;))

So the lesson for lot's of people: even if you're not using (knowingly)
IPv6, configure your firewall for it.

Hmm... this not so much a lesson but a failure of service. How many
consumer users are actually able to discover this, let alone understand
the implications.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup