Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 09:57:49 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
AFAIK, the current recommendation is for providers to dish out /48
networks. That's what I have in the datacentre.

I thought that was for business customers, but home users would have
to make do with only a /64. ;-)

RFC 3177:

"In particular, we recommend:

- Home network subscribers, connecting through on-demand or
always-on connections should receive a /48.
- Small and large enterprises should receive a /48."

You would think that a home user would have enough in a /64 or even much
smaller, but ...

With the way that's worded, I'd tend to think it was a typo. Why differentiate between home users and enterprises, if you give them both a /48 subnet? I have read other sources that say /64 for home users. Some of the arguments for it don't seem to make sense.

Also, RFC 3177 is an informational document, not a "best current practice" standard for implementation. I wonder if it has been superseded, as it is from Sept. 2001?