Re: [opensuse] multiboot: Suse does not find non-Suse distros
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 08:27:47 -0400
On 2010/06/06 14:33 (GMT+0300) Dotan Cohen composed:

I recently installed Open Suse 11.3 beta (build 0625) on a system with
another Linux distro in another partition. Interestingly, Suse gave me
no option for configuring dual boot, and the resulting boot menu
showed only the Suse partition. I was able to install a custom Grub2
to get back into the other distro, but why doesn't Suse provide this?

[Based upon observation, not any official position I know about.]

SUSE provides Grub 2 as an incompletely supported option. Its installer
provides no Grub 2 support. Consequently, it is incapable of parsing Grub 2
config files used by other distros, and it is the parsing of menu.lst files
from Grub 1 that enables other distros to be found.

As a consequence, I believe the current subject misleading. What SUSE doesn't
configure is other distros that depend on Grub 2, which is a much more
complicated boot loader that most people don't need.

Furthermore, dual boot is not a proper term for any system with more than two
operating systems installed. Dual means exactly two. OTOH, multiboot is
proper for most[1] systems with more than one operating system installed. [1]
http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/partitioningindex.html

IMO, unless the boot loader currently being installed is to be the system's
primary boot loader, it has no business assuming stanzas for any other distro
belong in its menu.lst. On my systems, a distro currently being installed
never contains a primary boot loader, as I configure the primary bootloader
prior to installing anything else whatsoever.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/