Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:03:52 +0200
On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 10:41 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Does it matter a lot for the coffeeshops - don't they just use an
RFC1918 network NAT'ed to a single IP from their provider?

We've already reached the point where many web sites are available
only via IPv6. This is mainly in Asia, where they do not have enough
IPv4 addresses to go around. That day is fast approaching for North
America.

Well, I didn't realize it was getting so close - I have not yet seen/met
any IPv6 only sites or servers.

Yes, i've allready seen a couple.
But these were merely for IPv6-promotional purposes
(torrent sites with nearly unlimited bandwith)

No sites yet that just can't get (or afford) an IPv4 address.
What i was told (though i can not understand exactly if its true or
why), that people/enterprises in China, Japan, Korea, Thailand are the
first to suffer from the depletion. Personally i would think that IANA
would hand out the 16 remaining /8 networks evenly among the RIR's
(Currently APNIC has more networks than RIPE)

Also, NAT is at best a bad hack to extend IPv4.

Well, maybe that is matter of opinion, but I would say that NAT is a
very useful mechanism for connecting RFC1918 networks with the outside
world.

No problem for people who only initiate towards internet.
Problem arises when those people want to be reachable.
True, that not everybody wants their own web/mail/torrent server,
but a growing number of people are using voip. Though SIP works with
nat, it's a cause of many problems...

hw