Re: [opensuse] IPv6 firewall
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 10:35:01 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
I think the ones who need to see the light are the access providers,
but I have read or been told that the issue there is the availability
of consumer-level IPv6-cabable CPE.

Actually, some ISPs have seen the light and some consumer level
equipment is now IPv6 capable. A friend of mine has a router, not
sure if D-Link or Linksys, that can handle IPv6. Modern operating
systems, including Linux, BSD, Mac and Windows have been IPv6 ready
for years.
I'd strongly recommend people set up tunnels to IPv6 brokers in the
mean time. I use Freenet6 from http://gogonet.gogo6.com. They have
clients for Linux, Windows, Mac and BSD and can be configured for
either a /56 subnet or a single address. There are other tunnel
brokers available.

If you're technically minded and if your provider will dish out an IPv6
network, you could just set up your adsl box to run in bridging mode
and then run pppd.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.4°C)