Re: [opensuse] I did format the wrong partition, help needed ..
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 02:48:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2010-06-05 at 20:35 -0300, Marco Calistri wrote:

On sab, 2010-06-05 at 22:16 +0200, robert@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
hi there,
when reinstalling linux I did reformat the wron partition.
it was formated with ext3 and now ext4.
I am looking for tools to recover the lost data.
mainly emails and such (for the "really" important data I do have a
recent backup)

I think you have not any chances to recover your data from a freshly
formatted partition since when you do a formatting, all data present on
disk are canceled.

Not really, the data is there (really erasing all data means overwriting everything, and that takes a lot of time; however, mkfs is fast). What is lost is the metadata, the index listing where is stored what.

However, as to recover lost data... Dunno. Grepping on the entire device?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.