Re: [opensuse] Why IPv6 only on one NIC
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 15:51:40 -0400
James Knott wrote:
Theo van Werkhoven wrote:
On 06/05/10 03:48, James Knott wrote:
My firewall has three ethernet cards in it. However, I've noticed
only one has IPv6 addresses. The other two don't even have a
link-local IPv6 address. IPv6 is enabled in Yast Network Settings
and I don't see anything that specifies it for the various NICs.

Why is this? How can I enable IPv6 on the other two NICs?

Just a wild guess, but have a look in
/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/*/disable_ipv6 for these interfaces.

Theo
There's no disable_ipv6 there for any of them.

One thing I have noticed is that an ethernet port has to be connected, before it'll get an address, however, the one connected to my cable modem still doesn't get an IPv6 link-local address, even though it's connected all the time. As an experiment, I connected my notebook to a NAT router, so that it won't see any local IPv6 addresses. It still gets it's IPv6 link-local address.