[opensuse] kcm_gtk -- again, can anyone confirm?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:44:38 -0500
Listmates,

Currently I am having problems with kcm_gtk (the control center module
that
makes your gtk apps [i.e. firefox/tbird/gimp] look like they should in kde).
There have been 5+ versions of this module in the past 3 months and 3+ in the
last two-weeks. Currently, the only way I can get thunderbird to look right is
to manually start gnome-settings-daemon (which defeats the purpose of normally
only using gcond-2 to apply the settings -- gnome-settings-daemon is rather big)
With only gcond-2 running the gtk themes only partially render.

Even with gnome-settings-daemon running, all the file
(open/save/save-as)
dialogs are screwed up. The coloring is ignored and the font size is screwed up.

Here are a couple of screenshots that will help. gnome-settings-daemon
is
running in theses screenshots. (much worse with just gcond-2 running) The first
shows this email message. Notice the menubar is blank (black text on black bg),
and the menus are unreadable (black text on dark menus).

(60k)
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/openSuSE/tbird-gtk-menus.jpg

Basically, the part of opensuse that reads you .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 (or -kde
for
kde3) isn't using the gtk theme colors and is using a black default that really
screws things up.

Next, all of the dialogs (tooltips included), ignore your chosen font
size and
make all fonts Ginormous (Ji-norm-ous). It looks like a default 12pt font size
is used instead of the set 8pt.

(41k)
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/openSuSE/tbird-gtk-filesave.jpg

I have tried 15+ versions of kcm_gtk and kde3-kcm_gtk going back to
April 2009
and the results are the same. So I don't think it is the kcm_gtk package itself,
but whatever part of opensuse reads the .gtkrc-2.0-kde* is likely what has
changed and is now broken. Does anybody know what package/process this is? All
was working great until 5-6 days ago, then after update, all hell broke loose.

Anybody else seeing this? -- or am I just lucky :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC